Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe created with America’s Dairy Farm Families and Importers, in partnership with the Innovation Center for U.S.Dairy, however, the views and opinions included are my own.
In Chile, it was very common to start all lunches with soup, which would be followed by the main course. My grandmother had an extensive repertoire of soups, and although most were not among my favorites, I’ve always liked vegetable soups and especially cream of mushroom soup.
This recipe welcomes a new partner to the blog America’s Dairy Farm Families and Importers in partnership with the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. You can expect to see recipes with milk, butter, cheese and more. Learning how milk is produced and its benefits, other than being delicious.
This month is unique, June is the National Dairy Month in the USA. Milk and dairy products are nutritious, budget-friendly and very adaptable in the kitchen, it can be incorporated in so many different ways that will convince even the pickiest eater. Vegetable soups are also a great way of introducing new flavors to children; milk helps soups be naturally sweet and have a familiar taste.
Other popular vegetable cream soups in Chile are, besides Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- cream of asparagus
- cream of celery
- tomato cream soup
During National Dairy Month, let’s celebrate how much milk and dairy products are in Latino’s tables: We have countless milk desserts, soups, and creams, we even roast meats in milk. And don’t get me started on butter and cheese, what would be a Barros Luco or quesadillas without them. I hope you enjoy this collaboration and spread the word about the recipes.
Milk only has 3 ingredients: milk, vitamin D, and vitamin A, it doesn’t need anything else to be enjoyed. Remember to find the kind of milk and products that work best for your family. You can also find low-fat, fat-free or lactose-free, cows milk options. So many delicious ways. Let’s now review the following recipe, which has gone from generation to generation in my family. During vacations in the countryside, fresh milk could not always be stored, and we’d need to figure out creative ways to use it.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Hearty, delicious, creamy soup. Full of flavor.
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, coarsely chopped (you can also mix button mushrooms and baby portobellos)
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups of whole milk (or 2%)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese to serve
- lemon zest, parsley, salt and pepper to serve
- vegetable oil
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and brown for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and once it melts add the mushrooms. Brown for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir.
- Add parsley and milk. Stir. As soon as it starts boiling, lower the heat to the minimum, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ricotta cheese: mix with salt, pepper, lemon zest, and finely chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove the parsley from the soup. Using the hand mixer process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If you use a blender, you need to wait until the soup has cooled and needs to be done in batches of 2 cups maximum.
- Serve hot with a tablespoon of ricotta in the center and chopped parsley if you like.
Keywords: mushrooms soup, cream of mushrooms, easy, quick
This is a sponsored conversation written by me. The opinions and text are all mine.