I’ve always enjoyed being in the kitchen of houses. I like the smell and warmth regardless of what is being cooked. One of my best memories is keeping company with my aunt Viviana –or Mami Vivi as I’ve always called her– making family lunch: this Chicken with mushrooms while listening to Chilena radio station and me telling her about my university life. While in Med School, I often would rush to her house for lunch.
Now, 20 years later, every Sunday during dinner, I write the grocery shopping list and ask if anyone would like something in particular. I make one dinner on demand, and I decide on the rest with whatever I have on hand or feel like cooking. This time, my husband asked for chicken, NOT chicken breasts, but thighs or drumsticks. And I remembered this straightforward and tasty dish. I served it with mashed potatoes. As soon as my husband opened the house door, he said: What smells so delicious? Talk about comfort food.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Juicy Stovetop Chicken breastPrint
- 1 tray of mushrooms or 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 chicken thighs or drumsticks with skin
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley to garnish
- In a wide pan or pot heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute occasionally stirring for 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion and cook stirring for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry using paper towel and generously season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and sear for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add white wine and bay leaf. Lower heat to medium, cover. And cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, add the mushrooms and chopped parsley. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 536.9 mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.5 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: chicken with mushrooms