I’ve always enjoyed being in the kitchen of houses, regardless of what is being cooked, I like the smell and the warmth. One of my best memories is keeping company to my aunt Viviana –or Mami Vivi as I’ve always called her– making family lunch: this Chicken with mushrooms while listening to Chilena radio station and me telling her about my university life. While in Med School, I often would rush to her house for lunch.
Now, 20 years later, every Sunday during dinner I write the grocery shopping list and ask if anyone would like something in particular. I make one dinner on demand, and the rest is decided by me with whatever I have on hand or feel like cooking. This time, my husband asked for chicken, NOT chicken breasts, but thighs or drumsticks. And I remembered this straightforward and tasty dish. I served it with mashed potatoes. As soon as my husband opened the door of the house, he said: What smells so delicious? Talk about comfort food.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Juicy Stovetop Chicken breastPrint
Delicious and easy recipe.
- 1 tray of mushrooms or 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 chicken thighs or drumsticks with skin
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley to garnish
- In a wide pan or pot heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute occasionally stirring for 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion and cook stirring for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry using paper towel and generously season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and sear for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add white wine and bay leaf. Lower heat to medium, cover. And cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, add the mushrooms and chopped parsley. Serve warm.
Keywords: chicken with mushrooms