I love coffee crumb cakes, they always hit the spot. I think of them as comfort food. They are also very forgiving and easy to bake. This recipe lent a rich and fluffy cake. All ingredients are very basic and usually at hand.
It’s one of the things I usually do when I am invited to an activity and have to bring something everybody really likes. Travels well and doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
For storage, I cut the Coffee Crumb Cake, freeze and eat it slowly with my mid-afternoon coffee. During summer, I add any ripe fruit at hand.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Coffee Crumb Cake
For 1 cake 23 cm
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons or 140 grams of cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar or brown
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Butter a 23 cm in diameter springform baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the butter in pieces and work with a fork until crumbs of various sizes form.
- Remove 1 cup of this mixture and reserve for crumbs.
- Mix the vanilla, egg, and yogurt. Stir well and pour over the flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork until thick. Pour into prepared pan.
- Mix the crumbs with the cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir well and pour over the batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden and a stick bury in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Open the ring and let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction