Yesterday, an American couple came, and I served this ají de gallina with white rice and green beans sautéed in butter. Simple and delicious. The whole menu was very Peruvian, and for dessert, I made another old recipe on the blog: Lucuma Tres Leches.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Peas and Carrots Chicken Stew or Pollo Arvejado.Print
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 8 slices of bread without mold
- 1 cup chicken broth, save from cooking the chicken
- 2 large onions, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 2/3 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, without seeds
- 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Hard boiled egg and black olives to garnish, optional
- The day before or in the morning cook the chicken in cold water with salt, pepper, and celery or parsley for 25 minutes. Let cool and store about 2 cups of broth. Shred the cold chicken into small pieces, 3×1 cm.
- Brown the onion in a big skillet or pot with 1 teaspoon of oil, on medium high heat, 6-8 minutes.
- In the blender put the bread, chicken broth, turmeric, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, evaporated milk, sauteed onions, walnuts, green pepper, salt, and pepper. Blend until you get a creamy sauce, try and adjust the salt.
- Heat the chicken in the sauce, adjust the consistency with the evaporated milk or with chicken broth.
- Serve hot, garnish with the hard-boiled egg slices and black olives.
Recipe adapted from the Peruvian cookbook by Emilio Peschiera.