A special treat that it’s easy to make and send to school. This recipe of brownies with dulce de leche is a keeper; the contrast in between the cocoa and the sweetness of the dulce de leche is excellent.
I learned to make brownies in Chile thanks to the booklet that came with my mom’s first microwave on the ’80. It was my go-to recipe when I have friends over. Soon I was adding other ingredients like Dulce de Leche, raisins, nuts, and so on.
Nowadays, I prefer making my brownies in the oven since you get a better crust, but feel free to use your microwave if press for time.
You can cut it on nine big square or 12 small squares.
Originally published in May 2014.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Alfajores with Dulce de Leche.Print
- 125 grams of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate bar (170 grams) chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of Dulce de leche (La Lechera canned is a good option)
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Prepare a 20x20cm (8″x 8″) square pan. Cover with foil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, that can go to the microwave or double boiler melt butter and chocolate. Use medium intensity 30 seconds each time and stirring well in between, do not burn the chocolate.
- Add the cocoa powder, stir with a wire whisk.
- Add eggs one by one, stirring after each addition until incorporated.
- Add sugar and vanilla. Mix.
- Add flour, stir until no large lumps are visible.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan.
- Put 4-5 spoons of Dulce de leche, about 1/2 cup of the Dulce de leche and using a knife spread slightly.
- Place the remaining chocolate batter on top and place the rest of the Dulce de leche and distribute the same way.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until done and a buried stick comes out clean.
- Let cool entirely on a wire rack.
- Lift from the pan and cut.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Oven-baked
- Cuisine: American