We are members of an Urban Farm Share: Plant it Forward, and during the summer, one of the most abundant crops in Houston is zucchinis and all kinds of summer squashes. In Chile, we are used to one single variety. Still, here in the U.S., there are many different ones, and although they look very different (see photo below) all have the same flavor and can be exchanged with each other on the many recipes for zucchinis in this blog.
This cream is very easy to make and has lots of flavors. You can eat it cold, warm or hot. It’s healthy and vegan. Highly recommend.
Visit our collection of Chilean soups here.Print
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions sliced thick
- 1 medium chopped broccoli
- 8 zucchinis cut into thick slices
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- In a large pot, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the squash and vegetable broth.
- The broth will not cover everything but do not add more water because the squash release a lot of water, and the ending soup can be lackluster.
- Cook for 25 minutes after the boil, covered, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Verify that all squashes are cooked. They can easily be crossed with a fork.
- Cool slightly, and use the hand blender to process until creamy.
- Try and check the salt.
- Serve hot or warm. I put crash tortilla chips and crumbled queso fresco on mine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Chilean Cream of Zucchini Soup, crema de zapallitos, zapallitos italianos