Chilean Pebre sauce is essential to our traditional dishes: humita, empanadas, winter and summer beans soups are not the same without a good Pebre. It comes to the table for an appetizer with sopaipillas and stays to be enjoyed with numerous Chilean main dishes.
The recipe is infinitely adaptable, and each family has their preferences, so suit your self.
Is better to let it rest for 1 hour before eating, so the flavors marry.
Recipe originally published in June 2014.
VISIT ALSO: THE 10 BEST TRADITIONAL CHILEAN RECIPESPrint
A foundational Chilean flavor.
- 1/4 onion chopped very small (white or yellow onion)
- 1 bunch cilantro or 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1–2 Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili sauce, like Tabasco
- Chop the onion finely, can be placed in boiling water for 10 minutes, then wash with cold water to soften.
- Separate the stems of the cilantro leaves, discard the thicker stems. Chop all the rest very fine.
- Cut tomato into 4 and discard the seeds, chop the rest into small cubes
- Gather everything in a bowl and season. Stir well and taste, adjust the seasoning to taste.
- It is better rested in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- It can be done in the food processor, but chop everything separately to get the right texture.
- Serve with BBQ, empanadas, etc.
Keywords: Pebre Chilean Sauce