This Sherry Cocktail, know as Vaina (seed pod) in Chile, was my favorite when I went to the Viña del Mar casino. I still really enjoy it, it’s a light cocktail nice for before lunch or dinner. It’s more popular during winter times than summer.
Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about its origins or history, but it’s an old traditional one in Chile.
Any bar in Chile will be able to make a good Vaina for you. So give it a try.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Sherry Cocktail or Chilean Vaina
- 1 cup sherry or sweet wine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup crushed ice
- drops of whiskey or cognac
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (depending on sweetness of wine)
- Place all ingredients in blender and process on high for 1 minute. Try to correct the taste and pour into the glasses.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Serve immediately, the foam down over time.
Recipe adapted from the book “Cocinando en familia con Chepa Martínez de Mekis”