For special occasions always try to make a beautiful cake, but when I have close friends over or just for normal days, for me the star is a nice Bundt cake. This breakfast called for a coconut and chocolate cake.
One of my friends here in the US is a fan of Dolly Parton. Dolly is a really exceptional lady and even has her own resort, Dollywood… when my friend visited it last year and told me about it, I thought she was making it up… but she wasn’t. And of course I was just looking for a recipe for our friends’ get together and in the excellent book Baked: Occasions I found this cake dedicated to Dolly… It was meant to be.
There are so many ways to find excellent recipes, and I love the little stories of everyday life that come with them. So in honor of Miss Dolly and my friend Addie, I present to you this delicious cake. It tastes like Prestigio, a coconut-chocolate treat from my days in Chile. The chocolate hidden inside is fantastic. The cake is fluffy and moist. So good.
It yields a large cake, use a 12-cup mold, or fill it to 3/4 and bake the rest of the mix in another mold. Mine almost overspills in the oven.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Chocolate coconut cake
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225 grams butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk (no sugar)
- 140 grams cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated coconut, no sugar
- 170 grams semi-sweet chocolate, melted and warm
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven at 180C or 350F.
- Prepare a large cake mold, 12-cups capacity. Butter very well.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the hand mixer at medium speed, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one by one, and beat until mixed.
- Add coconut and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Add half of the flour mixture. Mix.
- Add the coconut milk, mix. Add the rest of the flour. Beat at medium-low speed until completely mixed.
- Prepare the chocolate filling: Beat the cream cheese until frothy, add the coconut, melted chocolate, egg and sugar until completely mixed, 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of the previous mix and mix well with a spatula.
- Pour only half of the mix into the mold.
- Using a spoon put the chocolate filling on the mix, trying to keep it from touching the mold.
- Cover with the rest of the mix. Smooth out the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour , 1 hour 15 or until golden and until a toothpick introduced in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the mold.
- Loosen with a knife and unmold.
Adapted from Baked Occasions.