I love buying second-hand things, and I try to go to all the Estates Sales in my neighborhood. It is usually people who have died, and the family wants to liquidate their things. At first, I found it a bit detached and sad that the family would not want to keep things, but now I really like to go, and if I see some old cake pan, I buy it immediately.
I bought this one last weekend, and it was clear that the house owner, own her time, must have been a great cook. I suppose she would be glad to know that I will now have one of her pans, and it will continue to be used and loved.
Nordic Ware is an old US brand that still exists and is excellent. I recommend it.
This cake has no saturated fats; it has oats and apples, lots of fiber. It is very moist and with a well-balanced flavor.
For kids, muffins with chocolate chips are great snacks. It is very versatile.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Dulce de Leche Baked Apples.Print
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup of oatmeal, old-fashioned prefered
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175C.
- In a large bowl, grate the apples.
- In another bowl mix oil with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, stir. Add the oatmeal and the apple. Incorporate well.
- Add 1 cup and half of flour with the baking powder, mix well and finally add the nuts and raisins.
- Pour into a buttered and floured pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until it is well browned, and when you bury a stick, it comes out clean.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, unmold and let cool completely before cutting.
- This cake keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container. It can be refrigerated or frozen.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven-baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 26.2 g
- Sodium: 2.4 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Oatmeal Apple Cake, Oatmeal Cake