Fritos de porotos verdes or green bean fritters, also known as “green bean patties” or “green bean cakes,” are a delicious and versatile dish made by coating green beans in a batter and then frying them until they are golden and crispy. These patties can be a great appetizer, side dish, or even a main course, depending on how they are prepared and served. In Chile, they are traditionally a side dish.
In Chile, green beans are always French cut, so getting the right ones is essential if you buy frozen or need the right cutting tool. (Amazon affiliated link)
In Chilean cuisine, green beans or “porotos verdes” are a common and popular vegetable used in various dishes. Green beans are often incorporated into traditional and modern Chilean recipes, adding color, texture, and nutrition.
Fritos de porotos verdes are usually served in Chile with rice or mashed potatoes and some protein.
Here are a few ways green beans are used in Chilean cuisine:
- Cazuela de Ave: This is a Chilean chicken soup or stew that often includes green beans among its ingredients. It’s a comforting and nourishing dish that’s popular in Chile.
- Charquicán: A pumpkin and potato indigenous stew.
- Sandwich: Chacarero or farmer’s sandwich with steak, green beans, and tomato.
- 800 grams of green beans
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese optional
- oil, salt, and pepper
- chopped green onions or chives, optional
- Wash beans and pat dry. Cut the ends and chop lengthwise (french style). Boil salted water in a pot. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes or al dente. Drain and place in a bowl with ice water to set the color and stop the cooking. Leave for 5 minutes and drain.
- In a bowl, place cooked beans, flour, eggs, cheese, and green onions using salt and pepper. Stir with a fork or hands until well blended.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. If you throw water droplets, they should dance and evaporate almost immediately. Reduce heat to medium. Add one tablespoon of olive oil, place a generous scoop of green bean mixture in the pan, forming patties and cook for 5 minutes. Turn and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and continue with the rest of the mixture.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Stove-cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 6.7 g
- Sodium: 217.3 mg
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
Keywords: Green Beans Fritters, fritos de porotos verdes