I’ve never been a friend of soups, give me creams of vegetables all year, but soups not much. And my uncles, who always instead of helping caused more discord with their jokes, had me one summer, when I was 6 years old, convinced that the soup was made with seagull instead of chicken, and of course, there was no way to make me eat it. Now, as an adult, I wonder how seagull soup will taste like?
This soup is eaten year-round; in summer has fresh corn and green beans or peas. In winter, rice or polenta is added. The potatoes, the squash, and the minced parsley on top are always present.
The photos of this recipe were taken by my friend Kane. Thanks, Kane !!!
You may also be interested in the recipe: Chilean Corn and Beef Pie.Print
- 6 chicken parts, 3 drums, and 3 thighs, you can use bone-in breast meat too
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 carrots, can be grated or chopped into large pieces
- 2 fresh corns, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 pound of winter squash (kabocha or similar) cut into 6 equal pieces
- 6 medium peeled potatoes
- a strig of celery, parsley, and oregano tied all together
- 3 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 handfuls of green beans or peas, optional
- 3 handfuls of rice (washed), optional
- In a large pot with a thick bottom, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Dry the chicken with paper towels. You can leave it with or without skin. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Brown both sides for 3 minutes on each side. Take the chicken to a plate.
- In the same pot, add the onion and grated carrot. Cook stirring for 4-6 minutes until the onion is barely browned. Add garlic and rice if using, and cook for a minute.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add the potatoes, squash, herbs, corn, carrot in pieces and cover with boiling water. Calculate 1 1/2 – 2 cups per person, in this case, between 2 1/2 liters.
- Wait for it to boil, lower the heat to medium-low to simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Cover. If foam forms, remove with a spoon so that the broth is clear.
- Add the green beans or peas cook for five more minutes.
- Verify that the potatoes and the rice are cooked, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, place a piece of squash, corn, and chicken on each plate, and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 9.6 g
- Sodium: 192.6 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 60.8 g
- Fiber: 9.4 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 110.1 mg
Keywords: Chilean Cazuela de pollo, Chicken soup