When I lived in Santiago, Tavelli coffee store was a favorite stop for me. I loved having iced coffee during the summer; Homemade Iced Coffee is the perfect treat to have before going to the movies or out with friends. Since besides the iced coffee included whipped cream and ice cream is a full meal.
Iced coffee is so simple that you need to use the best ingredients to make it, brew an espresso, buy or make a good vanilla ice cream (not diet) and use sugar and heavy cream.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Homemade Iced Coffee, Chilean Style
- 2 espressos (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup cold milk, I use skim
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (for milk)
- vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for whipped cream)
- First, make the espresso and mix with cold milk and sugar, stir and taste, if you like it sweeter add more sugar, let it cool.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer for easy serving.
- Whip the cream by hand or with a hand mixer, when showing soft peaks about 2 minutes in, add a tablespoon of granulated sugar and continue beating until the cream forms hard peaks.
- In tall glasses or cups to serve ice cream. Serve one scoop of vanilla ice cream, add milk almost to the rim of the glass, leaving 1′ free and add the whipped cream. Serve immediately.