Sometimes, I need to bake cookies, the smell from the oven is so rich and homey. This month we’re cooking at the BRBC: Chilean cakes and sweets, and rescuing old recipes. So once again I dusted the Imperial recipe book from my grandmother, and this time I decided to bake honey cookies. Also known as Honey Lunitas (little moons).
Visit our collection of?Chilean recipes here.
Honey Cookies, Chilean Recipe
- 150 grams of butter at room temperature (11 tablespoons)
- 150 grams or 1 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 160 grams or 1/2 cup of honey
- 250 grams or 1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 150 grams or 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons walnuts or almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Mix the granulated sugar, cinnamon and walnuts or almonds on a plate to roll the cookies.
- Beat butter with powdered sugar until it is creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one by one, beating well between each addition.
- Add the honey, mix well.
- Add the flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
- Mix well, but do not knead.
- Form balls of 1 tablespoon of dough and roll in the cinnamon sugar and nuts.
- Place in buttered baking sheet, leaving 5 cm (1 1/2″ inch) between each cookie at least.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, remove with a spatula and let cool completely before storing.