My grandmother was and continues to be a significant influence in my kitchen. I often try to replicate the flavors I learned in her kitchen like this Galletas de Chuño. She passed away in 2005, and one of the things my mom kept from her was this Imperial recipe book.
I don’t know how old it is, but it’s old.
I have been studying it, and to my surprise, I realized that several of my favorite cookies from my childhood came from there, for example, the Caipirinhas, a cookie with nuts I make repeatedly.
Today I made these Galletas de Chuño more than anything because I had the ingredients at home, and because they don’t need rest, the dough is baked immediately.
Chuño is dried potato flour. In the US, it is called potato starch, and it is very easy to find in supermarkets. As you can see in the photos, they expand a lot in the oven, so leave them about 2 cm away.
Other traditional Chilean cookies are:
- Galletas de miel (Honey cookies)
- Galletas de coco (Coconut cookies)
- Galletas de vino (Wine cookies)
Galletas de Chuño Potato Starch Cookies
An old-fashioned cookie.
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20
- 100 grams of chuño (potato flour, potato starch in the US)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 125 grams of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- walnuts or almonds to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- In a bowl, beat the butter with the sifted powdered sugar until a creamy paste is formed. Add the egg and mix. Add the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, chuño, and baking powder together. Incorporate to form a soft and smooth dough.
- Scoop out walnut-sized portions with a spoon and place on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Place an almond in the center and press gently.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edge begins to brown.
- Let rest for 3 minutes, remove to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 inutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Galletas de chuño, Chilean potato starch cookies
Leave a Reply