When living in Texas, it is impossible not to be seduced by Mexican and Tex-Mex food. When we go out to eat, we often end up in a Mexican restaurant.
And this Tortas, the Mexican word for sandwich, is a favorite because Chileans love sandwiches, we don’t eat tortillas, and bread is king and present on all meals and in many snacks. This Tortas are accessible and have a wonderful flavor. They are trendy in Mexico and here in Texas as a quick breakfast on the go and are offered at food trucks and taco stands everywhere in Houston.
My grandfather was an absolute fan of eggs with sausage for breakfast. I like to think he would love the addition of the beans.
Visit our collection of Mexican recipes here.Print
- 4 loaves of bread, hopefully, bolillo in the US (at Latino bakeries)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped into small cubes and 1/2 on rings to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1 Mexican chorizo
- 5 eggs
- 1 can of frijoles charros machacados or refried
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage without the skin for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the chopped onion, cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook one more minute.
- Toast the bread lightly. Cut in half lengthwise. Heat the beans in the microwave or pan.
- Add the eggs to the pan with the chorizo and mix gently until they are cooked. Remove from the heat before they are ready, and finish cooking with the residual heat is not about cooking.
- Place two tablespoons of beans at the base of the pan, and spread over the eggs with chorizo.
- Serve immediately with sliced onions, sliced avocado or avocado, cilantro, and hot sauce.
I was a BUSH’S® Beans Blogger Ambassador. I received products and compensation in 2015. The recipe Mexican Torta With Eggs and Chorizo and all opinions are mine and have not been edited by others.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: breakfast sandwich