The love of potatoes was something instilled in me by my grandmother and my mother as a child. In my house, during winter and summer, the potatoes were the star, we almost never had noodles or rice. Chile and Peru are famous for their potatoes, a vegetable indigenous from the Andes region. We enjoyed different varieties throughout the year, and with new potatoes came the stapled salads in the summer, they have always been my favorites.
Now that new potatoes are in season, new salads come to mind, especially if it is easy and with a spicy different flavor. For this recipe, I used BUSH’S® Sweet Heat Beans. Cooked in a sauce with onions, serrano peppers, and sugar, the beans are spicy and sweet, delicious and super tasty.
This salad is perfect to bring to BBQs with friends and for sharing in general. I served it at home for dinner with grilled chicken. We love it.
Related recipe: Mashed White Beans
Spicy Bean Potato Salad
for 8-10 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 pounds of washed new potatoes
- 1 can (28 oz) BUSH’S® Sweet Heat Beans
- 1 small bundle of cilantro
- 8 oz of Queso Fresco (white fresh cheese)
- 1 bunch of green onions
- Cook the potatoes in a pot with water and salt. Once boiling, simmer 15 minutes or until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a knife.
- Crumble the cheese.
- Chop the green onions diagonally, chop the white part and the beginning of the green.
- Chop the cilantro.
- Drain the potatoes and run cold water over them to cool the potatoes a little. Peel if desired, and cut in half.
- Mix the beans ( sauce and all ) with the potatoes.
- Add the cilantro, cheese and green onions. Leave some aside for garnish.
- Mix together and taste, season if needed.
- Serve with grilled chicken or pork.