As you know, I love potatoes, and scalloped potatoes in white sauce are Heaven to me. I grew up eating this dish, and I truly love it: such humble ingredients and such a rich result.
While cooking these potatoes, I reflected on the different practices and confidence in the kitchen makes, and if you think about it, in all areas of life. I remember doing this same recipe ten years ago when I was learning to cook after having come to live in the US, and I was stressed out and felt it was too much work. They were delicious but too fussy, so they were relegated to special dishes that I do only if I have guests.
Now I cook them without sweating, and my kids, who are also potato lovers, love the dish too, so I’ve been doing it at least once a month … My mood has been reflective lately because, in a week, I will be in Los Angeles, California, at a Blogger’s conference. I’ll be on a panel called “An Inside Look into the World of Food Content Creators” where we will share the secret of our success, so I’ve been thinking about how this blog has grown and has become my work, as I have created real-world connections that have become cookbooks and have traveled through beautiful places in the US and the Caribbean. And what excites me the most is I have achieved this without losing my Chilean roots.
Visit our collection of Chilean Pasta, Rice & Potato recipes here.
Papas en Salsa Blanca Scalloped Potatoes
A great side dish for a special dinner.
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 pounds of yellow potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups whole milk warm
- 4 slices of cheese (Havarti, Muenster)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper and ground nutmeg
- Peel and cut potatoes into slices 1/4″ thick. Place them in a pot with enough water to cover them completely.
- Add a generous pinch of salt—Cook over high heat with the lid on. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the white sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring with a whisk.
- Add the warm milk slowly and always stirring. Let a smooth paste form, and continue adding the milk. Always stirring, turn on the heat to medium-high and wait until starts boiling. Cook for 1 minute more. Season with salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180C – 350F.
- Strain the potatoes and place them in a buttered baking dish. Alternate each layer of potatoes with the white sauce and cover with more sauce. Place the slices of cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Papas gratinadas, papas en salsa blanca, scalloped potatoes in white sauce
I love making this.