They asked me for more easy recipes from my mom’s recipe box, happy to deliver a delicious yogurt flan to you; you can do it in the oven or the microwave.
What I like most about this yogurt flan because it is very creamy in the center, a little firmer, and more porous on the edges. As you can see, it is not a super cute dessert; in my family, the fruit was not a dessert, so my grandmother and aunts had a whole repertoire of simple sweets to make on a baking dish (affiliated link) and serve by spoonfuls in small portions. More elaborated desserts like cakes, charlottes, and pies were reserved for the weekend family reunions. I do miss having a homemade dessert for every meal.
You can make half of the recipe without problems.
If you want to serve it more beautifully, you can use a round cutter as I did and bathe it with a bit of the caramel. Either way, it’s delicious and so simple. Use flavorful vanilla since it will be the prominent flavor coming through.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Easy apple dessert. Another very easy baking dish dessert.Print
A easy and delicious dessert.
for the caramel,
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
for the flan,
- 4 cups (907 grams) plain yogurt (use normal, non-skim)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- For the caramel: Place the sugar in a small pot with wet walls, add the water. The important thing is that all the sugar is underwater—Cook over medium heat and let boil without stirring until it changes color.
- Lower the temperature and do not take your eyes off the pot; as soon as it reaches the color of tea, turn off the heat. Let cool for 1 minute and cover the bottom of a pan that can go to the oven. It can be glass or metal. Be careful. The pan will heat up.
- For the flan: In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until well mixed, about 30 seconds. Add the vanilla, stir. Add the yogurt and mix well.
- Pour over the caramelized mold.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden and firm. It is usual for the flan to rise high in the oven and then lower when cooling down.
- Let cool completely before serving.