Baked apples or Manzanas Asadas is a delicious and comforting dessert made by baking whole or half apples with various sweet and flavorful ingredients. It’s a classic dessert that’s popular in many cultures, with numerous variations of it. This version with Dulce de Leche is easy and delicious.
Apples are widely cultivated and enjoyed in Chile, essential to the country’s agricultural and culinary landscape.
Chile produces various apple cultivars, including traditional favorites like Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, and Golden Delicious. Most heirloom apple varieties grow in the Lake region.
Chile is a significant exporter of apples, which are renowned for their quality. The country’s counter-seasonal production allows Chile to export apples (Feb to April) to international markets when not in season in the Northern Hemisphere. This has made Chile a vital supplier of fresh apples to North America, Europe, and Asia.Print
- 3 large apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons of dulce de leche o caramel sauce (I recommend La Lechera brand)
- cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Wash and dry the apples. Cut them in half from end to end, as seen in the pictures. Remove seeds and cut the stems if desired.
- Place the apples in a square or rectangular baking dish.
- Place pieces of butter in each half apple, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 40 minutes, test if they are ready with a knife when the knife easily goes through the skin, they are ready.
- Put the dulce de leche in the center of each apple and cook 5 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: roasted apples, dulce de leche