Chilean flan, known as “flan Casero” or simply “flan,” is a beloved dessert in Chile and many other Latin American countries. It is a creamy and smooth caramel custard dessert that is simple but incredibly satisfying.
It brings so many happy memories from my aunt’s place, where fruits were never an acceptable dessert… (old times).
What I love about this dessert is that I usually have all the ingredients at home (milk, eggs, dulce de leche, and sugar), so if I have guests for dinner, I can do it in the morning, and it’ll be perfectly cold at night. Ready to be enjoyed!
Dulce de Leche cans are available in Walmart (Latin foods aisle), Safeway supermarkets, and most Latino grocery stores. The cans are made in Chile. Argentinian dulce de leche has a different flavor but can also be used in this recipe.
Chilean desserts are known for their sweetness and indulgent flavors, and they play an essential role in Chilean cuisine and culture. Each region of Chile may have its unique twist on these classic desserts, showcasing the country’s diverse culinary heritage.
In the central regions of Chile, during summer, when the fruit is abundant and delicious, many everyday meals end with Fruta Picada, an effortless all-fresh Fruit Salad. In winter, most Chilean desserts transition to milk-based: Arroz con leche, leche asada, flan, leche Nevada, Sémola con leche, and Manjarate in later years are popular and enjoyed.Print
- 1 can of Dulce de Leche (380 grams), I used La Lechera
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
For the caramel sauce,
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Choose a glass or metal pan that can go in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C.
- Prepare the caramel sauce in a small saucepan, put in sugar and water. Cook over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Lower the heat slightly and boil without stirring until it changes color and looks the color of tea.
- Meanwhile, place all remaining ingredients: Dulce de Leche, eggs, and milk in the blender. Blend until it is all mixed.
- When the caramel sauce is ready, carefully cover the walls of the pan.
- Blend the eggs, milk, and Dulce de Leche mixture and pour over the caramel.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until is set. Let cool completely, then refrigerate.
- To take out of the pan, place the pan on hot water for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: dulce de leche, dulce de leche flan, flan de manjar, chilean flan