This is a very traditional, easy and tasty Apple dessert in Chile, most people grow up eating it. Perfect for this time of year. You can do it with or without the meringue topping.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Easy Chilean Apple dessert
- 4 large apples
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- optional powdered cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Wash, peel and grate the apples into short strips. Separate the eggs.
- In a bowl mix the grated apples, sweetened condensed milk, and 2 egg yolks add a pinch of cinnamon if desired. Stir well to mix.
- Place on a square baking dish 8’x8 ‘or 20×20 cm. Safe for the oven. I used a pyrex dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden and set, it should not move like jelly when moving the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites until frothy at full speed. Lower the mixer speed to medium and add the granulated sugar like rain. Raise the speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks of meringue forms. Rub a little meringue between your fingers, you shouldn’t feel sugar crystals. About 5-8 minutes.
- Place the meringue on top of the apples and brown the meringue using the broiler, keep looking this happens in seconds. Or use a kitchen torch.
- Serve immediately or shortly after. You can refrigerate it, but the meringue will deflate a little.