This is a very traditional, easy, and tasty apple dessert in Chile, most people grow up eating it. Perfect for this time of year. You can do it with or without the meringue topping.
The easiest version of this dessert is to grate the apples and mix them with sweetened condensed milk and dust with cinnamon. A classic snack growing up.
Any kind of apple works on this recipe, and it’s common to mix and match with whatever variety available.
You may be also interested in the recipe: Apple Chocolate Kuchen.Print
A quick treat.
- 4 large apples
- 1 can (397 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- optional powdered cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Wash, peel, and grate the apples into short strips, using the square box grater’s biggest holes.
- Separate the eggs.
- In a bowl, mix the grated apples, sweetened condensed milk, and 2 egg yolks. Add a pinch of cinnamon if desired. Stir well to mix.
- Place on a square baking dish 8’x8 ‘or 20×20 cm. Safe for the oven. I used a pyrex dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden and set. It should not move like jelly when moving the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites until frothy at full speed. Lower the mixer speed to medium and add the granulated sugar like rain. Raise the speed to be high and continue beating until stiff peaks of meringue form. Rub a little meringue between your fingers, and you shouldn’t feel sugar crystals. About 5-8 minutes.
- Place the meringue on top of the apples and brown the meringue using the broiler. Keep looking. This happens in seconds. Or use a kitchen torch.
- Serve immediately or shortly after. You can refrigerate it, but the meringue will deflate a little.
Keywords: apple dessert, grated apple with condensed milk,