A traditional Chilean recipe: Zucchini Casserole, which I always liked a LOT. Here, in Houston, we are in full zucchini season, and I need all the help that I can get to cook them in new creative ways. What’s your favorite way to prepare zucchinis?
Remember always to taste the raw zucchini and discard if they are bitter; there is nothing worse than cooking a dish and just before serving it discover that you had a bad one and all is ruined. The zucchinis turn bitter when the plant was under stress, usually for a lack of regular watering.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
An easy and delicious way to eat zucchini.
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, optional
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 slices of bread soaked in milk
- 3 eggs, separated yolks and whites
- 4 slices of cheese
- You can use a skillet or pot that can go in the oven and save some washing.
- In a skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat and fry the onion until it is translucent about 5 minutes, add garlic finely chopped or passed through the press, cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chopped zucchini thinly sliced. Cook until zucchini is tender and just cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, season and taste. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Drain any milk left on the soaked bread, add the egg yolks and combine. It should resemble a paste.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the egg yolks and bread mixture to the zucchini, and mix well. Add the egg whites, fold carefully.
- Cover with slices of cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
Keywords: zucchini cheese casserole