A traditional Chilean recipe: Zucchini Casserole, which I always liked a LOT. Here, in Houston, we are in full zucchini season, and I need all the help that I can get to cook them in new creative ways. What’s your favorite way to prepare zucchinis?
Remember always to taste the raw zucchini and discard if they are bitter; there is nothing worse than cooking a dish and just before serving it discover that you had a bad one and all is ruined.The zucchinis turn bitter when the plant was under stress, usually for lack of regular watering.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
An easy and delicious way to eat zucchini.
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, optional
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 slices of bread soaked in milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 slices of cheese
- You can use a skillet or pot that can go in the oven and save some washing.
- In a skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat and fry the onion until it is translucent about 5 minutes, add garlic finely chopped or passed through the press, cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chopped zucchini thinly sliced. Cook until zucchini is tender and just cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, season and taste.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Add the soaked and squeezed bread, discard the leftover milk, to the zucchini. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- In the meantime separate the eggs and beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the egg yolks to the zucchini mixture, and mix well. Add the egg whites, fold carefully. Cover with slices of cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: zucchini cheese casserole