My grandmother wasn’t scared of fried food, I guess those were different times… several of my grandmother’s dishes that were my favorites were fried. In winter, these apple fritters were the most delicious desserts that she could give us. She used to get them ready for the mid-afternoon tea or milk in the case of children.
In these 12 years living in the US, I had never done this family recipe. The nicest thing is when my daughters like one of this old Chilean family recipes, and these apple fritters were not only liked, they loved them and they even demanded them to be added to the Thanksgiving menu… this makes me so happy, the food memories get passed on even in a different country.
To accompany these apple fritters I made a sauce with Cacique Crema Mexicana Agria, as you know I love their products and they are always in my kitchen. The creams are excellent, they have a different, more creamy taste, more to my liking. I do not know what it is, but if you have not tried them, do it, it is not the same as buying other non-Latin creams, our Latino dishes go better with the Cacique creams. The Cacique Crema Mexican Agria is mild and runny, and with a little sugar and cinnamon, it is the perfect partner to the fritters.
for the cream,
- 1/2 cup Cacique Crema Mexicana Agria
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the fritters,
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Cacique Crema Mexicana
- 1 / 2- 3 / 4 cup milk
- 4 apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch or 1/2 cm.
- oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a pot with high walls, fill with 3 cm or 11/2 inch of oil. Must reach a temperature of 325F or 165C
- For the sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate.
- In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder.
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Add the cream and 1/2 cup of milk to the flour. Mix well, you want a thick batter, if too thick, add a little more milk. Test with 1 apple slice.
- Fry 3-4 slices simultaneously, no more. About 2 minutes per side until golden brown. Turn, repeat.
- Remove to a plate with paper towels.
- Serve warm with the crema Mexicana.