In Chile, this dessert started as something you would buy to send to school. Manjarate is this Dulce de Leche Mousse’s commercial name, which is sold next to the jelly and yogurt at the supermarket.
My mother was not in favor of packing dessert other than fruit in my lunch box, so for me eating Manjarate (a play with the word Manjar = Dulce de Leche) was something exceptional.
Living abroad, Manjarate is something we miss a lot with my husband, so I now make this homemade version. It’s even better than the commercial one, fluffy and melts in your mouth dulce de leche sweetness. The chocolate cover is a lovely crunchy compliment, I use dark chocolate to balance the dulce de leche, but you can use milk chocolate too.
You may also like the recipe: Chilean Empolvados.Print
- 1 can of evaporated milk, chilled all night
- 1 pound of dulce de leche, I used the canned dulce de leche La Lechera brand available at Latin markets
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chopped
- In a large bowl, whip the evaporated milk with a hand or stand mixer on high speed until thickened, about 4-6 minutes, depending on the mixer’s power. The volume should increase at least twice.
- Add the dulce de leche and beat on low speed for 1 minute until fully incorporated. Add cream and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Watch out for splashes.
- In a bowl, put the unflavored gelatin and cover with cold water, stir to wet all the gelatin and let stand for 1 minute, add half a cup of boiling water, and stir 1 minute until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the dissolved gelatin (can use a strainer if you are unsure) to the mixture and beat for 1 minute.
- Spoon mixture into individual ramekins and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave for 45 seconds, remove and stir for 1 minute. If not totally melted, continue heating for 20 seconds and stir for 1 minute each time. When melted, spoon on top of each mousse.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes and serve.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chilled
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 38 g
- Sodium: 98.4 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.5 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 19.9 mg
Keywords: Dulce de Leche Mousse