Polenta and Potatoes is an old Chilean recipe called “Papas con chuchoca.” I remember like it was yesterday, sometimes my grandmother made us go to see her friends in the countryside where we spent the summer vacations every year, and I always feared that they would have this dish: Polenta & Potatoes for lunch. I used to hate it.
Now, I enjoy it. I’m surprised how these old Chilean traditional dishes are so healthy; many are vegetarian and full of fiber. I serve it with salad and pork chops. You may leave it more or less thick according to the amount of water or broth you add at the end. You can add grated Parmesan cheese when serving.
Chuchoca is a traditional ingredient in Andean cuisine, particularly in Chile, Peru, and Bolivia. It is made from the roasted and ground kernels of Andean corn called “maíz chulpe” or “maíz mote.” Chuchoca has a distinctive texture that is chewy, crunchy, and nutty. It is used in various dishes, including stews, soups, and salads. In Chile, it is often used in the popular dish Cazuelas de Vacuno (beef) o de Pollo (chicken).
I used Chuchoca from Chile, but you can use polenta or stone-ground coarse cornmeal in the USA.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Papas con chuchoca Chilean Polenta and Potatoes
A quick and comforting traditional Chilean dish.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 onion, chopped into small cubes
- 300 grams of yellow squash (butternut or winter squash), diced
- 4–5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup polenta
- salt, pepper, sweet smoked paprika or Merquén
- In a big skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add chopped onion and paprika or Merkén. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped potatoes and squash, add salt. Cover with hot water, about 3 cups. Use the photo as a reference.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes, add the polenta, let it fall like rain, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Crush some of the potatoes and squash.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove-cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: papas con chuchoca, polenta and potatoes
Leave a Reply