Ave Palta Sandwich, or Chicken Avocado, is one of my favorite sandwiches. Here in the US, chicken salad is trendy, and it is a great thing with avocado on a sandwich. This is a straightforward recipe with a fantastic flavor.
This sandwich is everywhere in Chile, from coffee places to lunch spots, and at home, even at gas stations!!! It’s the on-the-go Chilean sandwich. I love it with a glass of cold Chirimoya juice.
The Chilean version of chicken salad is extremely basic, just cooked chicken, mayo, yellow mustard, and salt and pepper. My mother always added some sesame seeds to it, and I grew to love it, so now I make mine that way. They have such a nice crunch.
During summer, this is a sandwich we enjoy at the beach or after a walk on vacation. During winter, they make for a nice dinner, just slightly toasted.
Palta is one of the Spanish words for “avocado.” Another one is Aguacate. The avocado is a fruit that is native to Central and South America and is widely grown in tropical and subtropical regions around the world. Avocados are commonly used in Chile in sandwiches like Churrasco o Lomito Italiano or en Pan con Palta (the original Avocado toast) or in salads Repollo or Apio con Palta and Palta Reina Stuffed Avocado.
Visit our collection of Chilean sandwiches here or try this traditional Argentinian recipe, Sandwich de Miga.Print
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts with bone
- 1/4 onion, 1 carrot, and 1 stalk celery to cook the chicken
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional
- mustard, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices of white county bread
- 2 ripe avocados
- In a medium saucepan, place the chicken breasts, 1/4 onion, carrot, peeled, and one celery stalk or cilantro, salt, and pepper. Add water to cover everything.
- Cook over high heat until it boils. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Remove the skin and bone from the chicken breasts. Cut the meat into small cubes. Save the broth.
- Place in a bowl and add mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sesame seeds, and 1/4-1/2 cup broth. Stir well. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Just before serving, toast or warm the bread.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Spoon out the halves onto a cutting board.
- Sliced thin —season with salt.
- Place the chicken salad on a slice of warm bread.
- With the help of the knife, place the avocado over the chicken. Close the sandwich and serve.
Recipe sponsored by Flatout Flatbread and SoCu.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Poultry
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Ave Palta, Chilean Chicken Avocado