Cinnamon is a spice derived from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cinnamomum. It is commonly used in sweet and savory dishes, drinks, and desserts. Cinnamon is warm, sweet, and slightly spicy, often associated with autumn and winter holidays.
There are two main types of cinnamon: Ceylon cinnamon (also known as “true” cinnamon) and cassia cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon is milder and sweeter in flavor, while cassia cinnamon has a more robust, more intense flavor and is the type of cinnamon most commonly found in grocery stores.
Cinnamon is sold in various forms, including ground, sticks, and oil. When using cinnamon in cooking, using the appropriate amount for the recipe is crucial, as it can be pretty potent and overpowering if used in excess.
Other traditional Chilean ice cream flavors:Print
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 3/4 cup if you do not want it so sweet
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks (8–10 cm./ 3″)
- pinch of salt
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- In a medium saucepan, place the cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, dash of salt, and sugar (not replace or reduce much because it will alter the consistency of ice cream). Stir well, and then add water.
- Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. When it starts to boil, turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks, must be white and firm, but when you lift the beater, the beak still falls.
- The next day, sift the mixture through a fine-mesh colander.
- Mix the cinnamon mixture with the whites and place it in the ice cream maker and follow the instructions for each machine, which usually takes between 25-30 minutes.
- Or put in a large baking pan and freeze for 45 minutes to 1 hour, scrape with a fork, refrozen, and scrape every 30 minutes again or so, completing three scrapings.
* Remember that eating raw egg whites carries a small risk of Salmonellosis. You can use pasteurized whites if you wish.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Ice cream
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Cinnamon Sorbet