A summer version of my traditional Torta Pompadour Thousand Layers with banana cream cake.
I bought the puff pastry in the supermarket, and instead of spending a whole afternoon baking a thousand layers, I just assembled this quick and easy cake. This kind of cake is a favorite in Chile, where the combination of many doughs, jams, dulce de leche, nuts, meringues, and more, all in between thin layers, is the mark of an elegant and delicious cake. Before you run away screaming, let me assure you that we usually have tiny pieces of cake.
Other Chilean layer cakes with Dulce de Leche:
- Torta Pompadour Banana thousand layers
- Torta de Amapolas Poppy seed layer cake
- Panqueque manjar nuez Dulce de leche walnut layer cake
- Traditional Milhojas Thousand layers cake
- Easy milhojas cake (no-bake)
- Torta Alfajor
- Chilean Tres leches cake
- Torta Mixta Raspberry Dulce de leche Chocolate cake
- Torta Manjar Nuez Walnut Dulce de leche cake
- 1 box of puff pastry (refrigerated section)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can of dulce de leche (like La Lechera)
- 1 jar of cherry jam (in the USA, I recommend the Hero brand)
- 1 cup sliced almonds for garnish
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into five sections long, measuring your cake pan to see the width you need.
- Bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Allow cooling completely.
- Meanwhile, in a cold bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer until it forms soft waves, about 5 minutes. Add sugar at low speed and continue beating until hard peaks form.
- Line the cake pan with plastic wrap, and let it hang over the sides.
- Place a layer of cold baked puff pastry, cover with a layer of dulce de leche, place another pastry, cherry jam, whipped cream, and dough, and repeat until finished with a layer of pastry.
- Wrap the cake well in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Save the leftover cream, and store it in the refrigerator.
- Take out of the cake pan and, top with the remaining heavy cream, sprinkle with almonds.
- Keep cold.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Easy Torta Pompadour, Easy Milhojas cake with puff pastry