A classic and unique Chilean cake: Dulce de leche walnut layer cake. Traditionally, this kind of cake with thin layers of soft dough is bought at bakeries. The fillings are endless: lemon curd, ganache, preserves, walnuts, and almonds.
Other Chilean layer cakes with Dulce de Leche:
- Torta Pompadour Banana thousand layers
- Easy Pompadour with puff pastry
- Torta de Amapolas Poppy seed layer cake
- Traditional Milhojas Thousand layers cake
- Easy milhojas cake (no-bake)
- Torta Alfajor
- Chilean Tres leches cake
- Torta Mixta Raspberry Dulce de leche Chocolate cake
- Torta Manjar Nuez Walnut Dulce de leche cake
- 225 grams of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 10 eggs separated
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 cans of Dulce de Leche, I used La Lechera
- Preheat the broiler. No fan. You will use the broiler for cooking the layers. Place the oven rack in the middle position.
- Prepare an 8″ x 3″ round cake pan, and put a circle of parchment paper or silicone to the bottom.
- Mix the butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy, about 5 minutes. Beating on low speed, add the egg yolks one at a time, beating until thoroughly incorporated.
- In another bowl, very clean, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, hard peaks. Do not overbeat. It will dry out.
- In a large bowl, mix the two batters with light movements, working with a wooden spoon or spatula (do not use a whisk), add the sifted flour and incorporate folding.
- Add nuts and continue folding, be patient.
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and spread with a spoon or spatula across the bottom. Cook for 1 minute and a half to 2 minutes until lightly golden. You can open the oven and watch.
- Spread two tablespoons of dulce de leche carefully and cover with 1/2 cup of batter, spread, and cook for 2 minutes. Repeat.
- Continue cooking until you have no more batter.
- Cool completely on the wire rack.
- Un-mold and decorate with more dulce de leche warmed in the microwave (20 seconds for 1 cup) and walnuts.
- Refrigerate and serve the next day.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Panqueque Manjar Nuez, Dulce de leche walnut thin layer cake