Ideas to host the perfect Mexican breakfast with friends, start with a vegetarian breakfast burrito.
I like “Cafe de Olla.” For this breakfast, I made mugs with mini kits of Cafe de Olla. A small gift to celebrate friendship.
For the mini Cafe de Olla to-go kit. Each makes 1 French press (2 cups or one large mug). You will need:
- Three tablespoons coarsely ground coffee (for French press) in a bag
In another bag:
- 2 tablespoons of Piloncillo (at Latino markets) or brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 2-3 allspice seeds
- 2 cloves
Star anise and allspice are not traditional, but I love them. To prepare, place all the spices and piloncillo in a pot with 4 cups water. Heat over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the piloncillo, and boil gently for 3 minutes.
In the meantime, put the coffee in the French press. Add the hot spiced water, stir, and let stand for 3 minutes. Filter and serve immediately.
I like having tropical juices like passion fruit, mango, and guava, which are not as common in the US.Print
- eggs, 1 per person and 2 “for the pan” (my grandmother always used this “measurement”)
- salsa, I like to use a chunky and not too spicy
- black beans cooked and refried can be used, but I find them a bit heavy for breakfast
- shredded cheese, I used Queso fresco
- warm flour tortillas
This shop was compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser Glade in 2016. All opinions are mine alone.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Breakfast Burrito, Mexican Breakfast Burrito