My mom, for a while, made cocktail food for her friends. I used to help with canapés, filling cookies with jam or dulce de leche and of course making this classic Chilean appetizer in puff pastry cups … in fact we once bought a new brand and when we had already filled them, we realized that the dough was sweet, most disgusting thing ever, luckily it did not leave the house.
My mom did: mushrooms, shrimp, leeks, peppers. All these fillings are based on a thick white sauce with parmesan cheese. You can mix and play.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Langostino Tails Appetizers
for 25 puff pastry cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- 1 cup thawed shrimp and cooked, they can be chopped shrimp also
- 25 puff pastry cups cooked or similar
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add the flour, stir well for 1 minute with a round whisk. Reduce heat to low, begin adding the milk gradually and always mixing to form the sauce. Raise the heat to medium and continue stirring until it boils.
- Remove from heat and add the Parmesan cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the prawns and stir well.
- Fill the cups and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Broil in the oven just before serving.