This recipe Lomito sandwich is sponsored by The National Pork Board.
The most classic Chilean sandwich, and probably the most famous too and certainly for me the most delicious: Lomito. The lunch of choice in Chile when in a hurry, the obligatory stop at a soda fountain or a glorious cafeteria to eat Lomito, ready in a few minutes thanks to the expertise of the line cooks. Even Anthony Bourdain gave his approval when he visited Chile.
Now after so many years living outside Chile, I can appreciate our love and affection for the sandwiches in all its dimensions, in many converge our best ingredients: homegrown tomatoes, avocado from our backyards, and different pieces of bread for each kind of sandwich, where all prepared with dedication.
The Lomito was invented in the “Fuente Alemana”, a soda fountain in Santiago, Chile … their existence is a tribute to German immigrants.
The homemade version of the Lomito is superb, take the time to do the meat and then enjoy this recipe. The pork loin should be done at least the day before to let it cool, cut into very thin slices, and return to the broth to sit and be saturated with flavor. Then heat in the same broth over low heat.
You may also like the recipe: Chilean milk braised Pork LoinPrint
An iconic Chilean sandwich.
for the meat,
- 4 lb. of pork loin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 cups boiling water
- Challah buns
- Avocado, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat, brown the roast on all sides in order to seal in the juices. Sear 2-3 minutes per side.
- Spread mustard on top of the pork, add salt, oregano, paprika on top. Add the chopped onion and hot water.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours, or on very low heat for the same time on the stove.
- Allow cooling completely. Cut the meat into thin slices. Return the meat to the pot with the juices.
- For the sandwiches: Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the toasted bread, layer the meat (be generous) and top with your favorite toppings: most traditional is tomato and mashed avocado.
- Serve right away.
Keywords: Lomito sandwich, Chilean pork sandwich