We did this recipe of sweet cornbread with my kids today, it was 100% their idea, playing on the computer, they found the recipe and asked me to bake it together. At first, I did not want it to do it, because I thought it would be something full of sugar, but honestly, it turned out to be a reasonable recipe, we loved the result. It is also an easy and fast recipe.
The cornmeal gives beautiful color, flavor, and a different “crunch” to this pound cake.
This sweet cornbread lends itself very well to be toast and serve with a layer of Dulce de Leche or Nutella. Or cut into sticks to dip in a bright sauce for a different appetizer.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Completos.
Sweet Easy Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F.
- Prepare the muffin tray with paper cups or grease a pound cake pan.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stir well.
- In another bowl, gently beat the oil, buttermilk, and egg until everything is incorporated, add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Fill the cups, or the pan. Bake until golden brown and when popping with a stick, it comes out dry, 25 minutes for the muffins or 45 minutes for the pan.
- Eat warm or cold; you can freeze if desired.
Recipe adapted from nickjr.com (I could not find the link, it seems that you have to play a game first)