Growing up in Chile, the end-of-the-year holidays were associated with the summer and all the delicious summer fruits. My grandmother and mother always included them in desserts and pastries like this Dulce de Leche Meringue Peach.
Here in the U.S., the holidays are during the winter, but that does not stop me from using my family recipes, and I make this traditional dessert using canned fruits. Peaches and apricots are my favorites for this dessert which is very simple and easy to do but is packed with flavor.
This recipe uses meringue, a traditional Latino food like my grandmother used, but you can replace it with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream if you like.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Duraznos con merengue Chilean Stuffed Peach
A delicious dessert that will surprise you.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 can of Peach Halves Heavy Syrup (15.25 oz.) or Apricot Halves (15 oz.)
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Drain the fruit. Place the halves in a baking dish, ramekins, or canning jars.
- Mix the dulce de leche with the pecans in a small bowl, and stir until well blended.
- Fill each half with a spoonful of the mixture of the dulce de leche and pecans.
- Prepare the meringue. Build a water bath in a large pot: put 3 inches of water, heat over high heat until it boils, and lower heat to low. Place the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl that can be placed on the pan without touching the water. Whisk with an electric mixer initially at low speed and then high, about 5 minutes until you see stiff peaks, then keep whisking out of the water bath until it cools down, about 5 minutes more. Using a pastry bag or a spoon, place a small dollop of meringue over each peach or apricot.
- Using the broil function of the oven, lightly brown the meringue. You should always stay close. The browning takes only 2-3 minutes.
- Serve within the next 2-3 hours if possible. Or refrigerate until serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Duraznos rellenos con manjar y nueces y meringue, Stuffed Peach
Leave a Reply