One of the things it’s hard to find in the U.S. is lasagna like we do in Chile, a Lasagna with White Sauce and Bolognese. My family, and from what I have heard from many other Chilean families, always make lasagna with white sauce, not ricotta.
We booked a Sunday with my husband to make a Chilean lasagna. It was worth the effort.
You may also like the recipe: Chilean Charquican.Print
Lasagna with White Sauce and Bolognesa
For Chileans, the right lasagna is with white sauce. Try it!
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 pound of 85% ground beef
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced small
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 1 package of lasagna noodles
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or similar cheese
- 6 cheese slices to cover or more grated cheese
- Put water in a large pot and cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Make the meat sauce in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the finely chopped onion, carrots, and occasionally cook, stirring until golden for 5-8 minutes. Place ground beef in one layer, let brown 3-4 minutes without stirring, turn, and brown the other side. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, mix and season with salt and pepper. Let reduce over low heat while you cook the white sauce.
- For the white sauce, in a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add the flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Get out of the heat, add the milk in a continuous thread, continuously stirring. Return to the heat, let boil, and thicken—season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 375F or 190C.
- To assemble the lasagna: Grease the baking pan slightly. Place a layer of meat sauce, a layer of noodles overlapping so there are no gaps, a layer of white sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese, another layer of noodles, a layer of meat sauce, repeat. Finish with a layer of noodles, white sauce, and cover with laminated cheese.
- Bake at 375F or 190C for 25-35 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 508
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 688.8 mg
- Fat: 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.1 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 27.3 g
- Cholesterol: 79.6 mg
Keywords: White sauce lasagna, chilean cuisine
Another recipe that you copy from the Peruvians, but you missed 3 vital ingredients that make what I ate in Lima so unique. Their cooking involves gusto, timing, special ingredients that I have not seen in any other parts of the World, hence the imposibility to cook the same way.