One of the things that it’s hard to find in the U.S. is lasagna like we do it in Chile a Lasagna with White Sauce and Bolognese. My family and from what I have heard from many other Chilean families, they always make lasagna with white sauce and not ricotta.
We booked a Sunday with my husband to make a lasagna, Chilean style. It was worth the effort.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
For Chileans, the right lasagna is with white sauce. Try it!
- 500 grams of ground beef
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 1 package of lasagna noodles
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or similar cheese
- cheese slices to cover or more grated cheese
- Put water in a large pot and cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Make the meat sauce, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add the finely chopped onion, carrots, and cook occasionally stirring for 5-8 minutes until golden. Place ground beef in one layer, let brown 3-4 minutes without stirring, turn and brown the other side. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, mix and season with salt and pepper. Let reduce over low heat while you cook the white sauce.
- For the white sauce, in a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add the flour and cook for 1 minute stirring all the time. Add the milk in a continuous thread, always stirring. Let boil and thicken, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven 375F or 190C.
- To assemble the lasagna: grease the baking pan slightly. Place a layer of meat sauce, a layer of noodles overlapping so there are no gaps, a layer of white sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese, another layer of noodles, a layer of meat sauce, repeat. Finish with a layer of noodles, white sauce and cover with laminated cheese.
- Bake at 375F or 190C for 25-35 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Keywords: White sauce lasagna, chilean cuisine