My whole childhood vacations were spent in a very small sea town in Chile. I grow up eating all kinds of fish, seaweed, and crustaceans. Almost always, the first introduction for kids to sea products is by offering Seafood Empanadas, especially if it is with cheese. I plan on doing just this with my kids. Wish me luck.
On this blog, the recipes come from Chilean home cooks that feed their families daily with what is available in the market and what is affordable. So the understanding of what seafood means is flexible for each of these dishes:
- Salsa Margarita Chilean Seafood Sauce
- Chupe de Mariscos Seafood Casserole
- Paila Marina or Caldillo de Mariscos Seafood Soup
Chilean Seafood Empanadas
Fantastic Chilean appetizer empanadas.
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 10 empanadas dough Goya (on Latin supermarket, on the frozen aisle)
- 1 cup raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned, without the tails
- 5 washed and finely chopped scallions white and green parts(green onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or merquén
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of cheese coarsely grated, Havarti or Monterrey jack is a good choice
- oil for frying
- Make the filling: In a medium skillet heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-low heat, add the green onions and saute until lightly browned and tender, about 3 minutes, add salt, pepper, and Merquén, stir well and add the shrimp and cook until they are getting pink. Remove from heat and let cool, add the cheese and mix.
- Thawed the dough, separate carefully. Place 2 teaspoons of filling of shrimp and cheese. Close the empanadas, slightly wet the edge with water and then crushed with a fork to seal the edge. You can also make small folds, after sealing the edge, my favorite way.
- Heat oil in a deep pot to avoid splashing, test the oil with a piece of dough left over, get out to the surface and brown quickly in about 1 minute per side, or 400F. Place the empanadas to be fried, 2 or 3 at a time. Allow to brown on both sides, remove to a plate with an absorbent paper towel and let drain 1 minute, serve and eat hot.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: seafood empanadas, chilean cuisine
Hola me encantan tus recetas me gustaria que me las enviaras a mi correo.. Muchas gracias
Hola, solo tengo eso habilitado para el blog en español, es un resumen semanal, te puedes inscribir acá https://www.enmicocinahoy.cl/subscribete-al-menu-semanal/