This cream of Spinach Soup is packed with flavor and goodness. Easy to prepare and perfect for any lunch or dinner.
Not every winter, but we get a freeze in Houston every two or three years. In the gardens, this always means harvesting everything that can be harvested in advance and covering the rest. Last week, I had unplanned amounts of green leafy vegetables: kale, bok choy, and the delicious spinach—nothing better to use the abundance than a Cream of Spinach Soup.
We enjoyed it during lunch with friends on the coldest day this winter, so it was exceptionally well appreciated. And in the summer, I serve it lukewarm so that nobody claims it is too hot for soup! The taste always shines and is very nutritious.
Spinach requires a diligent wash, especially if coming from your CSA or garden. I put them in the sink, wash them under the stream of water and let the sink fill up. Then “soak” for a while in plenty of water. The earth is deposited to the bottom, so without removing the plug, take out the spinach, trying not to stir the water.
How do I thicken the soup?
I used frozen bread crumbs to thicken, but you can use traditional oatmeal (not quick) or potatoes. These creams forgive a lot and are flexible recipes.
Seasoning and toppings for cream of vegetable recipes:
This spinach soup can be seasoned with curry or any other species of your liking.
I served it with black sesame as decoration. You can serve it with toast, crackers, or croutons. Cubbed cheese is also popular.
Can I make it vegan?
Yes. I added cream to the soup, but you can omit it. Also, see the alternatives to breadcrumbs in the recipe.
Other vegetable cream soup recipes:
- Cream of Asparagus.
- Cream of Mushrooms.
- Cream of Celery.
- Cream of Cauliflower.
- Cream of Broccoli.
- Cream of Summer Squash.
- Cream of Beans.
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 large bunches of spinach very well washed or 2 packages of 450 grams of thawed spinach or a mix of green leave vegetables
- 2 cups breadcrumbs or peeled cubed potatoes or 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 liter (4 cups) of vegetable broth or water
- salt, pepper, oil
- 1/2 cup of cream, optional
- black sesame to serve
- In a large pot over medium-high heat. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add spinach, broth, and bread. If you use water instead of broth, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Cook for 10 minutes more covered. With the hand/immersion blender. Process everything until you get a cream. If you use a traditional blender, do it in small portions and return it to the pot.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the cream if desired.
- Serve hot or lukewarm.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: Cream of Spinach Soup, Spinach Soup