I love creams of vegetables, especially without milk or cream, they are healthier and lighter, like this cream of broccoli. Usually, I thicken my creams with potatoes, but this time I used oatmeal, and the result was great. I recommend it.
This soup is very nutritious, and the nutmeg and chopped walnuts make it more delectable.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Cream of broccoli
- 2 kilos of broccoli, stems peeled and cut into chunks (4 pounds)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 minced garlic if desired
- 1 cup of oatmeal old fashioned
- water (2 lt. approximately or 2 Quarts)
- salt, 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg and pepper
- Wash, peel and chop the onion into large cubes, chop the garlic.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil, add the onion and fry for 5-8 minutes, add the garlic and nutmeg and fry for 1 minute. Stir.
- Add the broccoli and oats, cover with cold water: salt and pepper.
- Once it boils, reduce heat and cook covered for 10-15 minutes occasionally stirring, until the broccoli is cooked.
- Use the hand blender to grind everything until creamy.
- Add more water or salt if necessary.
- Serve hot with natural yogurt and chopped walnuts.