Try this delicious and unusual Machas a la Parmesana. You could use clams instead of razor clams; the combination with the cheese and wine is unique but delicious.
What are Machas?
Machas are the Chilean type of surf clams. They are also called pink clams or razor clams. They are different types of clams in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Razor clams are much more skinny and long compared to the Chilean ones. The Chilean Machas are similar in shape and size to the surf clams you can get in the PNW (Pacific Razors). See more about the different types of clams here in Serious Eats.
What is Machas a la Parmesana?
It’s a traditional and beloved appetizer dish in Chile, where the clam is oven clean and returned to a clean shell, dressed up with wine, seasonings, and cheese, and baked. You eat it hot with an excellent chilled white wine. Without the shells, the nicest is to use a shallow bowl.
If you are ever in Chile, they are a must.
Where can I find Chilean Machas in the USA?
Asian supermarkets carried frozen surf clams. Or sometimes, in high-end supermarkets, you see them canned. Geomar or Robinson Crusoe are familiar Chilean brands. Amazon has them occasionally.
Another seafood dish I love and ubiquitous in Chile is the scallops a la Parmesana. Also traditionally served in their shells.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Razor Clam Ceviche.Print
Machas a la Parmesana Chilean razor clams
A classic appetizer, delicious with white wine.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 cans (4-6 oz each) of Machas (Chilean razor clams or surf clams)
- 3 slices of Havarti or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- a trickle of heavy cream, optional
- butter, optional
- Preheat the oven broiler to maximum temperature.
- Clean the Machas removing the bag with sand.
- Put the Machas in a dish that can go to the oven, add the wine, salt, cream, butter in small pieces, and pepper to taste. Cover with Havarti cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese begins to brown. Take it out carefully; it will be scorching and serve immediately with country bread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 687.5 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 18.6 g
- Cholesterol: 63.5 mg
Keywords: Machas, Parmesan machas, Razor clams with melted cheese
Very tasty! Gourmet! 🙂 thank you for the recipe!
I’m glad you enjoyed it!
Me encanta siempre tus comidas ricas. Hube estado en chile y siempre busco las comidas chilenas aunque no soy chilena. Gracias!
Me alegro que encuentres recetas acá. Gracias por comentar.
Where can I buy Machas in EEUU?
The same Machas, they don’t sell them. You can buy at Asian supermarkets razor clams that they are similar.
I bring cans from Chile.