A recipe sent by Rosa, a follower of the blog on Facebook. Thank you, Rosa! She does this Old Fashioned Fruitcake every year. The recipe is originally from an old, long, out-of-print Chilean magazine called Eva.
- 1 kilo of all-purposed flour (2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise, optional
- 250 grams of powdered sugar
- 14 grams or 2 packets of granulated instant dry yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup ground walnuts or almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit
- 2 tablespoons of beer
- 250 grams of melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml. of warm water
- 1 egg to paint
- Mix almonds, raisins, nuts, candied fruit, and ground almonds in a bowl.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg, anise, and yeast in a large bowl. Stir with a fork until well blended.
- In another medium bowl, mix melted butter, beer, and eggs. Beat with a fork until well blended.
- Make a volcano and put the butter mixture in the center. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix or knead all. Add the warm water and knead to form a uniform dough. It will be heavy but not sticky. You can use the mixer or food processor for this.
- Let stand covered with a cloth in a warm draft-free place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough to a floured counter and pound with your hands to make a rectangle. Place the mixture of nuts, raisins, and candied fruit on the center, roll and knead until incorporated and evenly distributed.
- Cut the dough into four equal parts and make rolls/buns with each.
- Preheat oven to 300F or 150C.
- Place the buns on a baking pan covered with parchment paper and let rise for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut a triangle on top of each bun and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack—storage in sealed bags.
- Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Old Fashioned Fruitcake