This recipe is traditionally made with purple cabbage, my mom used to make it for the Holidays. I use the recipe from Kako’s?blog?”En Guete!”. When I have guests I do it with purple cabbage, but for every day I use normal cabbage that is much cheaper and the taste is the same. Cabbage with Apples is served widely in southern Chile with pork.
Visit our collection of?Chilean recipes here.
Cabbage with apples
- 1 medium green or red cabbage (500g)
- 1 red onion or yellow, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves
- salt and pepper
- Cut the cabbage into 4, ?cut and discard the hard white parts. Chop the rest into thin strips. ?Sprinkle with salt and stir well. Let stand for 1-2 hours.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add vinegar, stir. Then add the apples, salt, pepper, cloves stir well.
- Add cabbage and cook for about 5-7 minutes until hot.
- Serve hot or warm.