The love for our Calabacitas or Zapallos is shared all across Latin America. Squashes are present in all the traditional cuisines from Mexico to Chile. These Calabacita Tacos are vegetarian, simple to prepare, and so delicious. We love them.
The habanero is spicy, especially for untrained palates, but very tasty. It gives a spectacular flavor to this Calabacita taco filling. One teaspoon is not enough to feel spicy but provides a trace of tastiness.
Calabacitas also known as Mexican zucchini is widely consumed in Mexico, it has the same taste. You can find it in Latin markets.
These tacos are a pre-test for the Taquiza party I want to organize soon to inaugurate the house. Taquizas are Mexican fiestas where everyone brings something, and the hostess usually provides tortillas and accompaniments: cilantro, limes, onions, salsas, pico de gallo, guacamole, etc. Guests bring a taco filling: carne asada, chicken tinga, Cochinita Pibil, and soon there is a line where each guest is making their favorite taco combinations. It’s delicious.
As it is meant to be shared, this recipe is abundant.Print
- 1 onion, chopped into small cubes
- 2 cans (14 ou.) diced tomatoes fire roasted
- 1 teaspoon Habanero sauce, if you want the filling spicy use 1 tablespoon
- 4 calabacitas, zucchini, or summer squash cut into cubes
- 1 corn ear or 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 cup cream (used Crema Mexicana if possible)
- 1 leaf of epazote (Mexican herb) or 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt, oil
- 16 corn tortillas
- Queso Fresco
- Crema Mexicana
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and add the onion. Cook, occasionally stirring, for 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and Habanero sauce, stir, and cook for 6-8 minutes until all the juice has evaporated from the tomatoes.
- Add the zucchini, corn, cream, and salt, and stir. Cook for 8 minutes, until vegetables are “al dente,” not mushy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, heat the tortillas in a skillet or comal, slightly browned on each side.
- Fill with Calabacita. Add queso fresco, crema Mexicana, a dash of lime, and more salsa.
Recipe sponsored by TABASCO in 2016. All opinions are my own.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Tacos de calabacita, Calabacita Tacos