We grew up eating Chilean Steak Rolls or “Niños Envueltos”. If you search on Google, you will see that there is another recipe for rice and meat wrapped in cabbage leaves that have the same name “niños envueltos.” This happens a lot that the same name describes different dishes in Latin America.
Chilean Steak Rolls or “Niños Envueltos” are popular with kids. And now as a mom, I add many more vegetables to the recipe. I have seen versions stuffed with hard-boiled eggs, but in my house they never had, so I did them without, but do if you like.
I was inspired by the recipe of my family and of the book Healthy Recipes for the whole family (Recetas saludables para toda la familia), by Laura Müller. A Latina blogger, of Mexican descent, who lives in Chicago. I’ve known Laura for four years, and she’s a great person, and her channel (in Spanish) of healthy recipes on YouTube is a must. Laura very kindly gave me two books to gift. I’ll do a giveaway on Facebook and another one on Instagram, so stay tuned.
In the book, Laura explains how to modify traditional recipes so that they are very healthy, what I found very interesting is that Laura cooks everything without oil. I did it as she describes for this recipe and it’s fantastic. Excellent advice and recipes. The book is convenient with simple recipes and very easy to use in the kitchen.
The most classic thing is to include peppers in the filling, but I do not like it, so I replaced with zucchini and used the rest for the sauce. It turned out delicious.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Garlic Sirloin Steak.Print
A great beef dish juicy and flavorful.
- 1 fine chopped onion
- 8 small flank steaks (I cut 4 big ones in half), in the USA you could also buy top sirloin (you can order them as for Milanesa)
- 1 carrot in 8 long pieces
- 4 chard leaves without stem or spinach
- 1 zucchini, 8 pieces and the rest minced or celery or green pepper
- 1 cup of vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 500 grams of sliced mushrooms
- oregano, salt, and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion with a couple of tablespoons of broth, occasionally stirring until browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Assemble the meat rolls, place the steaks on a board. Season with salt and pepper. Place a chard leaf, a piece of zucchini, carrot, and roll closed with two toothpicks.
- Brown the meat rolls 3 minutes per side. Add the broth, the tomato sauce, stir. Sprinkle with oregano. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving. Serve hot with rice or mashed potatoes.
Keywords: beef stew, niños enuveltos