My kids are fans of Master Chef Junior, and it has encouraged them to learn how to cook. Both are good bakers, that’s when they usually help me, but now my oldest is doing one lunch a week, usually on Sunday, and recently she did this amazing Popcorn Shrimp.
In general, they choose the recipe from my cooking magazines or a blog, but this time the inspiration came from a new restaurant we visited a few weeks ago here in Houston, it’s Southern food: Punk’s, pretty good, nothing innovative, but what they do, they do well and in a very nice environment and good service.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24-28 deveined raw shrimp
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil (about 2′ minimum depth) in a pot with high walls to 350F or 180C.
- Place the flour on a plate.
- Place the egg, milk, and salt in another. Whisk to blend.
- In another bowl mix the breadcrumbs with parsley and basil.
- Press each shrimp in flour, dusting the excess. Then dunk on the egg wash and then cover in breadcrumbs.
- Place the prepared shrimp on a platter without touching.
- Fry the shrimp for 3-4 minutes. Remove to a bowl covered with absorbent paper. Try one for sure with 3-4 minutes cooked.
- Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from All recipes.