Pascualina is the pot pie of Argentina.
The first time I ate Pascualina was in my in-laws, my mother in law was born in Argentina and there are very traditional there, most typically made with spinach and you can also make a great version with artichokes. I made my version with Swiss chard harvested from my backyard. My husband almost died of happiness.
Traditionally Pascualina is served as an accompaniment. We ate it as a main, delicious dish.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Pascualina Swiss chard pot pie
- 2 bunches of Swiss chard
- 1 onion
- 50 grams of butter
- 100 grams of all-purpose flour
- 500 ml. of milk, I use skim
- salt and pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 pie dough thawed to room temperature
- Wash and dry the chard, cut and discard the ends of the stems. Cut the stems and leaves into thin strips. Chop the onion into small squares.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let brown, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Add the chard and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Remove to a bowl. Wipe skillet with a paper towel and add the butter, let melt over medium heat. Add the flour and stir with a fork, let it cook about 2 minutes. Add the warm milk in a thin stream and incorporate slowly. Allow the boil and thicken, stirring occasionally. Boil gently for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chard and stir. Adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Greased a baking dish. Place a pie dough and press against the bottom and sides. Place the filling in a layer of 1 cm (1/2 inch), more or less. Cut the eggs in 4 and distribute evenly. Place the remaining filling and cover with the pie dough and press the edges to seal.
- Make a chimney of foil for steam to escape, place in the middle of the pie.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 20-30 minutes so that the filling does not leak when cut, cut and serve.
- Save refrigerated. It can be reheated in the microwave oven if desired.