Pascualina de Acelga is the chard pot pie of Argentina.
The first time I ate Pascualina was with my in-laws. My mother in law was born in Argentina and there are very traditional there, most typically made with spinach and you can also make a great version with artichokes. I made my version with Swiss chard harvested from my backyard. My husband almost died of happiness.
Traditionally Pascualina chard pot pie is served as an accompaniment either warm or room temperature.
Recipe originally published in May 2012.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
A classic Argentinian side dish.
- 2 big bunches of Swiss chard
- 1 yellow onion
- 50 grams (4 tablespoons) of butter
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) of all-purpose flour
- 500 ml. of milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 pie dough thawed to room temperature
- Wash and dry the chard, cut and discard the ends of the stems. Cut the stems and leaves into thin strips. Chop the onion into small cubes.
- In a large skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let brown, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Add the chard and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Remove to a bowl.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel and add the butter, let melt over medium heat. Add the flour and stir with a fork, let it cook about 2 minutes. Remove from the flame. Add the milk in a thin stream and incorporate slowly. Return to medium heat and allow the cook and thicken, stirring occasionally. Simmer gently for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chard and stir. Adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Greased a baking dish. Place a pie dough and press against the bottom and sides. Place the filling in a layer of 1 cm (1/2 inch), more or less. Cut the eggs in 4 and distribute them evenly. Place the remaining filling on top of the eggs and cover with the pie dough and press the edges to seal.
- Make a chimney of foil for steam to escape, place in the middle of the pie.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 20-30 minutes so that the filling does not leak when cut, cut, and serve.
- Refrigerated once cold. It can be reheated in the microwave oven if desired. Can be served warm or room temperature.
Keywords: Chard pot pie, pascualina